There are a lot of lists of who died last year, but I haven’t seen any specific to LGBTQ and feminist communities, so here goes:
- Mike Penner / Christine Daniels – transgender sports writer
- Michele La Freniere – transgender activist
- Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick = queer theorist
- Bea Arthur – gay icon/actor
- Dr. George Tiller – abortion doctor
- Virginia Prince – crossdressing pioneer
- Ted Kennedy – key legislator on LGBT rights
- Dottie Laing – crossdresser’s wife & out trans partner
Stars, all. Rest in peace.
Mary Daly died yesterday.
She resigned from her position at Boston College because she wouldn’t let male students into her Women’s Studies classes. feh.
From her Wiki entry:
Also in Gyn/Ecology, Daly asserted her negative view of transsexual people, whom she referred to as “Frankensteinian.” She labels transsexualism a “male problem” and claimed that post-operative transsexuals exist in a “contrived and artifactual condition.” Daly was also the dissertation advisor to Janice Raymond, whose dissertation, published in 1979 as The Transsexual Empire, is critical of “transsexualism.” Transsexual activist Riki Wilchins has accused Daly of being transphobic.
Mostly we’ll just wait for the rest of them to go, too. Being an anti-trans feminist these days is about as logical as being against same-sex marriage: wrong side of history.
Mike Penner transitioned a couple of years ago and started using the name Christine Daniels only to start going by Mike Penner last year again.
He was found dead in his apartment, apparently of suicide.
How much does this break a person’s heart? Plenty.
Our love to his family and friends.
Trans activist Michele de LaFreniere died on Halloween. I didn’t know her myself, but she sounds like a stalwart soul.