Today is Blog for Choice Day. It’s been 36 years since Roe V. Wade, & while a lot of feminists are breathing easier as a result of Tuesday’s inauguration of Barack Obama as our new president, you can’t really ever stop worrying about the way they get our laws all over our (female) bodies.
In a nutshell, I’m pro-choice because
- because this planet is too crowded
- because abortion will always be available, but it will only be available to wealthier women if it’s illegal, which is class discrimination
- because women deserve to decide their own lives & when & how they want to have children
- because they never, ever report on where the father is when a teenaged girl leaves her baby on someone’s doorstep (or in a local dumpster, etc).
- because women don’t always choose when they’re having sex, even if they’re not raped
- because younger women, especially, may not have the self-confidence to insist on safe sex
(But it really is a huge relief to have a pro-choice president. At last.)