PayPal now has a cool option to create a donate link, so I did:
Recently I surprised a friend who was under the (incorrect) assumption that professors make a lot of money. They don’t. I’m not working for a non-profit, so I don’t get paid that way either. And while I’m happy that I get to do a lot of events of various kinds, even educators need to pay their bills.
So if you like what I do, consider donating.
Here’s a short list of what I do on the regular:
- run an online group for partners of trans people
- run the MHB community forums
- answer calls / find resources for people who need them
And here’s an idea of what I do in the space of a month:
- Talkback for tonight’s performance of Hydrogen Jukebox at Lawrence.
- Next Friday a cultural competency lecture on gender diversity, also at Lawrence
- Next Saturday a workshop on trans advocacy for trans families at the WI LGBTQ Summit
- I’ll be around to answer questions at an ‘I Am Jazz’ reading at the Appleton Public Library
- A few weeks later, I’ll do the keynote for a fundraiser for Rainbow Over Wisconsin.
Obviously when I do talk for organizations and companies, they pay me, but when I work for LGBTQ events, educational resources, or trans specific orgs, I don’t charge.