A Trans Inclusive Feminism.

Posted by – September 16, 2013

It was the principle of the thing.

I’ve been doing this work for more than a decade now, so if you’re indecisive, I’m going to say this: there are no doubt trans women who are jerks, misogynists, and who carry around a fuckton of male privilege. But they are NOT all trans women, and they are not jerks BECAUSE they are trans.

Cis women can be jerks, too, but we’d all rather not have people’s opinions and policies decided based on their behavior.

Anyway. I don’t think of what I do as fighting transphobia. What I think I do is practice an intersectional, trans inclusive feminism. & That is all.

There are many, many ways a woman arrives at “woman”. Trans is just one of many paths.

6 Comments on A Trans Inclusive Feminism.

1. Donna says:

Thanks! I think it’s a great statement!

2. Susan says:

Thank you, Helen. I get tired of having people assume I think an act a certain way because of the way I look or because of my history.

Susan

3. divadarya says:

I love this. Some clarity was needed, and we also needed to snarl back, a little.

4. Donna says:

FYI, it’s my understanding that the total number of signatories is now well over 200 — maybe even closer to 250 or 300! — although the new names won’t be published until later.

Quite a few novelists signing on — one is Tamora Pierce; a friend of mine said that she read her books growing up.

5. Donna says:

A new post just went up with today’s additional signatures: http://tinyurl.com/nsb6s7h

The total number of new signatures today was 230 additional individuals, and 9 additional organizations. The grand total as of 10 pm EST today: 383 individuals, 17 organizations. So, exactly 400! Way more than my guess.

There’s also a link to the new post at the bottom of the original statement and list of signatories.

There’s at least one new signatory some of you have probably heard of: the writer Tamora Pierce.

6. Donna says:

The latest update has appeared: http://tinyurl.com/l45rbum

The total number of signatories is now 538. I see that both Rebecca Watson and Skepchick have signed on.