Interview: Safe Space Radio

Posted by – March 23, 2011

Tonight I’ll be interviewed on Safe Space Radio, out of Maine.

Definitely do check out some of the other interviews Dr. Anne has done on trans issues – the one on the trans youth summer camp is particularly interesting.

7 Comments on Interview: Safe Space Radio

1. Tights Lover says:

Would love to check this out. What time will you be on?

If you’re in Maine & can listen live, the show starts at 7:30 PM EST.

You can stream live too:

for various options.

I don’t know how long it takes them to put the interview up on the site.

3. Tights Lover says:

Thanks, Helen! I’m actually in MA…so I’m probably a little out of reach. But I’m definitely going to stream. Thanks!

4. Gwen Lavyril says:

Helen,
    I have the upmost respect for your role as a gender “rights” advocate….at all levels.

I will just cut to the chase.

Does it bother you that you have/are….. making/made a “cottage industry” from your spousal relationship? Does it bother “Betty” for that matter?

Frankly…I am annoyed with “Betty” for letting you interpret it all.

Sorry, Betty…”Man Up” ….Bitch!

Gwen

5. Betty says:

Hi, Betty here.

First off, the “Man Up” comment is just so much gender-baiting horseshit. There is nothing “manly” or “womanly” going on here.

Second, Helen knows WAY more about trans issues than I do. Seriously. She reads the books, talks to people, does all of the work, etcetera. Frankly, at this point in my life, the last thing I want to do is talk or think about trans stuff. Sorry to disappoint.

Third, the “cottage industry” as you call it is also horseshit. I may be the silent partner here, but I’m a full-on partner in this thing. We’re a team. We’re married. We love each other. Etcetera. So no, it doesn’t bother me at all. It comes down to the simple fact that Helen is way smarter than I am about trans stuff. You can believe it or not, but you’re not entitled to your own facts.

Finally, “Gwen,” the use of quotation marks is fucking stupid. Betty is derived from my middle name – my legal middle name – so there’s nothing “fake” about it.

It still stuns me that other trans people feel somehow entitled to speak up for me. Please stop. I’m a grown woman and I can speak for myself just fine, thank you very much.

Betty

6. jadecath says:

I hope it’s not wrong to enjoy reading someone who so very badly needs to be told off being told off so very well.

7. Gwen Lavyril says:

Well, hello Betty!
    My goodness..don’t you get your panties in a twist in a hurry? Well, I thought that I was being amusing. My mistake.

I have been married 37 years and my wife and I have raised two wonderful kids… and I thought that you would be like sharing and…well cool about yourselves. Well, color me wrong again.

You may call me any names that you wish but I would like to point out one thing; You are a Bigot!

“Jesus, it’s shit like that has really driven me away from wanting to hang out, speak or anything with other trans people.” (Quotation is appropriate here)

I am one person, and I thought I had asked a reasonable question. Evidently I pushed a button? Ok, hate on me.

But then, you damn the entire TG community with the likes of me? Get over yourself, ok?

Oh, BTW, you are not a grown woman and I was not speaking up for you..I despise you. What on God’s earth makes you think that either “YOU” or “HELLEN” are actually relevant to anyone but yourselve’s?