Everything is Amazing, Nobody is Happy

Posted by – July 31, 2009

Honestly, this is the way I feel about Obama being president:

and within the LGBT community especially, as if I’m surrounded by people who can’t give it a minute to get back from space.

In five months:

• Lily Ledbetter
  • funding the UNFPA
  • children’s health insurance
  • troops to Afghanistan
  • stem cell research funded
  • lifting Cuban travel restrictions
  • Kathleen Sebelius
  • signing the UN document decriminalizing homosexuality
  • creation of White House Council on Women & Girls
  • created Post for Int’l Women’s Issues
  • same sex partner benefits for Federal employees

Plenty to do, but all of these things were pipe dreams before.

5 Comments on Everything is Amazing, Nobody is Happy

1. Leah B says:

It has as much to do with expectations and promises as anything. In politics, context is paramount. So yeah, he expands bennies to same sex parnters of fed. employees. THat’s good. But what’s the context? Just before this, he broke a campaign promise to fight DADT, and just after this, his administration doesn’t just stand behind the DOMA, but makes some pretty nasy, and some dangerous, assertions (Nasty: Comparing it to incest, Dangerous: Saying DOMA is constitutional. If DOMA is constitutional, queer people are truly fucked for decades, at least.)

Troops to Afghanistan? This is a joke. Didn’t work for Russia. Hell, didn’t work for us in Iraq. Afghanistan needed more of our attention, but more troops? I’m not convinced.

Barack campainged as a progressive, and is governing as a moderate. He’s don’e some good things, so let’s not pretend he’s Bush, or even Bush Lite. But he’s more centrist than he is liberal, and that’s an issue to me.

In addition, on the most pressing issue of the day, the economy, he’s completely failed so far. Sure, the economy’s recovering, but for whom? The money’s STILL trickling up. Reagan Lite. Fuck that. Fuck Goldman Sachs, and fuck this bullshit bank bailout that just sends money away, no strings attached.

I give him a B-, mostly because he’s solid on foreign relation,s and because yeah, Lily Ledbetter is fairly susbstantial. The guys delivering for women, at least. But B- isn’t good enough. Barack Obama is clearly capable of better. Tell me, if Barack Obama were a student in one of your classes, would you be happy giving him a B-? Underperforming isn’t worth celebrating, IMO.

2. Leah B says:

THat video, on the other hand, is hilarious. He insulted my genereation, but he did so funnily, so I’ll let it slide. :D

3. Leah B says:

Alright, alright, looking back, my rant was a bit off topic. But I still disagree with the assertion that everything is amazing. SOme things are better, many things are not. We are, after all, inheriting an America that conservatives have really fucked up over the past 30 years.

4. divadarya says:

Let’s mention Hilda Solis as Secretary of Labor too, as opposed to let’s-not-do-anything-to-upset-industry loser Elaine Chao. Another bigger beef I have with my younger peers is the idea that the movie you download from piratebay is really “free” and that every single thing on the Internet should be that way(The EU Parliament actually has a “Pirate Party” member now). When you download a “free” movie you deprive me, my family and my union brothers and sisters in SAG, AFTRA, IATSE, Teamsters, and the DGA of Health and pension payments, period.
    Let me say that again: you are stealing from me, so don’t bullshit me with airy-fairy net-neutrality stuff.
    and yeah…I have more memory in my phone than my first MAC.

5. leguin says:

Hi there. I, too, am shocked to see “troops to Afghanistan” listed as cause for celebration.

Might I recommend:

Susie Day’s, “Obama and the New Gay Civility”:

and Friday’s _Democracy Now_ exclusive interview with the parents of John Walker Lindh:

“John Walker Lindh’s Parents Discuss Their Son’s Story, from Joining the US-Backed Taliban Army to Surviving a Northern Alliance Massacre, to His Abuse at the Hands of US Forces”