WTF?

Posted by – March 6, 2009

Two female customers at a gay bar attack two trans guys in DC’s Dupont Circle. I mean, attack: whiplash and concussion. Presumably the two women were lesbians but since we don’t know that for certain, I’m not going to say it.

But still.

9 Comments on WTF?

1. Madame George says:

I just saw this on the mHB. I’m stunned.

2. VivaZoya says:

Appalling.
    How do you “denounce someone as androgynous”? That phrasing is really weird.

3. Although I have many gay friends, I also have experienced quite a bit of …well, let’s just say mild intolerance from within the LGBT community. I have always been puzzled as to why that is when there clearly is a ‘T’ at the end of LGBT.

4. divadarya says:

“They said, ‘What the fuck are you? Are you a girl or a boy?’”

Translate that into Spanish, and it’s almost word for word what a man said to a transwoman in West Hollywood about five years ago before he beat her to death with a baseball bat.
    We need a dialogue with our brothers and sisters in the “LGB” part on this. I also think that it’s amplified by the invisible plague in all of our communities: alcohol and substance abuse. Invisible because its such a widely accepted part of our “culture”, not that invisible because I’ve witnessed the stumbling, the unconsciousness and the vomiting in the streets at Robertson and Santa Monica on a Sunday morning about 2:15am. In this case, drunk people do stupid things they normally wouldn’t; I don’t know if they were drunk, but if we were betting right now, I’d raise.

5. whatsername says:

The way people hate on each other, ESPECIALLY when they’ve been hated on themselves…it just never makes sense. :(

6. omatty says:

I’m sorry to comment on this thread, but I can’t get on threads that don’t have comments. I get in an endless, “login to comment” cycle. Hmmph.

But, this commercial is of general interest, and might serve as a good dose of positive humanism to counter the sadness of the story you posted on:

omatty, where’d you find that? that commercial has been around for a few years, but all of a sudden it’s showing up all over the place.

8. Véronique says:

I’ve been wondering that myself, Helen. I saw that commercial quite a while ago, and I thought others had seen it too. But now it’s making the rounds again, and a lot of people seem not to have seen it before. Things move in mysterious ways!

9. omatty says:

Someone posted it on facebook…. I guess I’m late to the party…haha.