Just a Guy

Posted by – July 19, 2008

Our downstairs housemate of the past 5 years or so left today, to move to his hometown, where he got offered a job he couldn’t turn down. I’ve been friends with him nearly two decades; he’s the one who made my wedding gown, and who watches our cats and feeds our fish while we’re away, and saying I will miss him is the understatement of a century.

I’m also a little envious that he got that job, the one that you’d leave NYC for, and that he’s going home to have his close friend and family nearby. There is a certain disjointedness in my life these days, and I know that mine will not come together in the ways his is – my parents are retired in FL and there’s no way on God’s green earth I would ever move down there, and even if I did, it wouldn’t be home. Maybe that’s a good thing. Instead I stay here in Brooklyn, with my sister 20 blocks away and more friends than I can count.

Except, of course, the one I’ll be missing starting today.

8 Comments on Just a Guy

1. SavoyTruffle says:

I’m very sorry. :(

2. VivaZoya says:

Aw, that sucks, I’m so sorry. I hope someone totally cool moves in. I hope you guys keep in touch. :(

3. Amelie says:

I’m sorry Helen. :(

4. joanne says:

I’m sorry; I know how it feels.

5. lizzy says:

We would be lost without our dear neighbors, friends shoulders to cry on and dog sitters.
    Last week they let out, fed and watered Roux 4 times, and will be caring for him while we are on the cape this week.
    Most of all they are friends, part of our lives. Helen, Betty, it’s hard to loose folks that have become part of” the fabric of our lives”.
    Hope the new neighbor is tolerable.

Lizzy… on vacation !!!!

6. Sorry to hear that helen. :(

7. tinasim02 says:

I understand, helen, and I’m sorry to hear this. :(

8. Donna says:

I’m very sorry, Helen. I met him a couple of times, and he is definitely a terrific guy. This kind of thing is very hard.

Donna