Here Comes the Summer

Posted by – June 21, 2008

Today’s the Summer Solstice, the day where there’s the most hours of light. In celebration, I thought I’d remind everyone that it’s legal for women to go topless in New York, and that a clever photographer did a nice photo essay celebrating the fact.

I particularly like the one of the tattooed girl asking the NYC cop for directions.

And Happy Birthday, Lara!

9 Comments on Here Comes the Summer

1. elainezfw says:

Oh dear. Days with equal amount of light and darkness are known as _equinoxes,_ and occur in the spring and fall. The solstices are days when amounts of light and dark are at their extremes.

i think i’ve corrected it, but you know, i always mix these up, & always have. obviously i’m not wiccan.

3. caprice says:

It’s easy to remember: Equinox means equal night–when there are 12 hours of night and 12 of day.

no, it’s which goes where. i always remember winter solstice, but for some reason i always want summer to have an equinox.

5. SavoyTruffle says:

take my astro class when you’re here and you’ll never forget. The solstices are when my Tom Cruise cutout is highest or lowest on the hula hoop. :)

I like the Summer Solstice because it means I start getting my night sky back.

6. caprice says:

I wonder how long it will be before your students start asking, “Who’s Tom Cruise?”

7. nmonster says:

I had no idea it was legal to go topless in NYC. How liberating that must be :) . I love the quote by Sonja from Wall Street: “The reason men are so obsessed with breasts is that they never get to see them. In Europe, breasts are definitely liked and admired by men too, but they’re not obsessed with them. I think that if men were more exposed to them on a regular basis, it would take away this obsession.” Makes sense.

8. nmonster says:

‘Course some European men responded to her comment saying they were just as obsessed as American men :)

9. latina.femme says:

Thanks, Helen et al., for the wonderful diversity/present in the photo essay, in women, their states of mind, their seasons, their circumstances … I loved, among others, the one with the photographer lady with her head under the hood of the camera!