Smokes With Rabbits

Posted by – February 22, 2008

I walk home at dusk, after classes are over for the day, & watch while murders of crows gather in the bare tree branches on my block.

Later, at 10PM or so, I go out for a smoke on the front porch with a bruised apple in my pocket. I toss it to the side of the porch, and in a minute or so, a rabbit who’s been expecting me is gorging on apple while I smoke. Occasionally she gets up on her hind legs and gives me a once-over.

Even later, if I’m up late enough, the apple is gone, and an owl hoots from somewhere up & to the right of my ice-covered porch.

I feel like I’m becoming freaking Walt Whitman.

10 Comments on Smokes With Rabbits

1. Administrator says:

I love you.

2. traceldel says:

In the immortal words of Will Durst (a city boy) “Outside is where the car is”.

3. Jude says:

I dunno why, but I initially read “…. bruised rabbit in my pocket. I toss it to the side of the porch…..” and was horrified in a kind of PETA way.

Glad for the reread. Yanno, if you ever *do* feel the need to flee the big city, you can find rural areas that are not quite so cold and snowy.

4. christinesus says:

“I feel like I’m becoming freaking Walt Whitman.”

That’s good. In a society that values slaving away at a job, money and material spending, I think it’s the time spent watching rabbits eating apples, patting your cat, watching the sun rise, and reveling in a gorgeous blue sky on a spring day that’s truly valuable – so much so than a Rolex, a Lexus or an Ipod.

You are one bright lady!

Christine

5. Veronica says:

I approve of all forms of kindness to rabbits. Lynne would also concur, I’m sure. :)

6. miss carolyn says:

What a sweet story. Do you have pics of the rabbit?

i’d never heard “outside is where the car is” – hysterical. thanks for that.

8. rocketqueen says:

That’s freaking awesome. You’re like Snow Black.

9. lizzy says:

Helen, this little bit of writing pleases me, put some of that tenderness and decriptive gift into a work of fiction.
    What a writer you are.

10. nmonster says:

Welcome to the northlands :)