No Love Lost

Posted by – February 23, 2007

I’m really astonished at the remarks Tim Hardaway made, in public, as a public figure. I’m glad to hear he got canned from the All Star game as a result, but I’m just really surprised. I probably shouldn’t be: after all, it was the jocks who often made me nervous in high school because I was different. But I also knew a lot of jocks who were really cool guys & who used their status to stand up for people who were different.

But wow. Tim Hardaway is a bigot. For some reason, that’s always so much more disappointing when it comes from a woman or a person of color or whatever other form of minority. & Yet years ago, when I was working at City College, bell hooks told me she’d never teach a class about James Baldwin again because she was so horrified by the homophobia expressed by her (largely African-American) students. I hope she has, & does, anyway.

I hope someone sat him down to watch Brother Outsider by now, at least, and that John Amaechi sells a truckload of books and educates as many basketball fans as Hardaway represents.

5 Comments on No Love Lost

1. LaSirenaBella says:

Did you see the bit that George Takei did about Hardaway? I think it was on Jimmy Kimmel’s show.

2. Betty says:

For an interesting take on this I would recommend reading a rather hard hitting interview of Hardaway by an old friend:

3. christinesus says:

It amazes me how an African American can make such comments. I’d expect that as a persecuted minority, he would have some understanding about discrimination and bigotry. So much for high expectations.

Chris

4. Phoebe says:

My experience has been that the more you are hated, or persecuted, or discriminated against, the *easier* it is for you to hate, or persecute, or discriminate against someone else. Because in order to live, you have had to internalize that way of thinking.

Betty, thank you for pointing to that interview. It makes him much more 3D.

5. nmonster says:

Too funny, LaSirenaBella :)