Why I’m Pro Choice

Posted by – January 22, 2007

Today is Blog for Choice Day.

There is one reason and one reason only: because if abortion is illegal, women with money & power & connections will be able to have them still, and poor women with no power & access to pay for blackmarket services will not. While there are significant disparities of access and care with abortion legal, it is nothing like what it would be if it weren’t legal.

Abortion will not go away. It has always been with us. That said, holding men/boys responsible for children they father would be a good start. Getting honest sex education to teenagers and adults would be great. Free and easily-accessible birth control would go a long way toward preventing abortions. Dealing with the fact that people have sex – priceless.

9 Comments on Why I’m Pro Choice

1. rosiewolf says:

That’s my stance as well! I just didn’t state mine quite as concisely. Blog for Choice!

2. Caitlin Rose says:

I’ve been saying this for years. Any law that attempts to stop abortion only stops the poor from getting safe abortions. The rich can always hop a plane to a more enlightened state or country.

The poor will still get their abortions, but under horrendous and sometimes deadly conditions.

This is just another example of the powerful trying to legislate morality for the powerless.

3. That’s a great point! There are so many reasons to be pro-choice, that it’s hard to get into it all – but it does boil down to this.

RH Reality Check participated in Blog for Choice too – check it out: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org

Cheers,
    Tyler

4. Diane Frank says:

Abortion is a synthetic issue drummed up by the right wing to replace fear of godless communism. The insistence that life begins at conception is a totalitarian conceit passed off as morality.

Diane

5. Debra says:

Great post Helen! My post wasn’t anywhere near as good… hehe.

6. Debra says:

Helen, since I just got the ping back today, did you see this?

The entry itself is irritating, but the comments are great!

oh, it’s insane. props to those who responded, i couldn’t even bother with such a hateful ignoramus.

8. Debra says:

I ended up with a few good comments back on my site after my comment there.. of course I admit my comment was one of the least intelligent ones because as a general rule I fail to think before saying things, but the new communication between other people made his ignorance almost worth it.

9. Mandee522 says:

Just as an addendum to what you wrote about affording teens proper information about sex and birth control and accessible birth control methods and devices- could we also throw in a mandatory senior year of child development coursework in all high schools in this country. Very soon after leaving (or during) high school many of the girl become mothers- and don’t have a clue as how to properly take care of a child- what normal expectations physically and emotionally are for the child, what essentials in motherhood are a must for proper emotional and physical development,- and all the same for the boys/fathers who as you say must be held accountable and responsible.
    In Cost Rica- DNA tests are mandatory when it is suspected that someone may have fathered a child and that person becomes responsible for that child’s support until 18 years of age. This is tracked on a national computer system. Payments from wages are deducted by law to support the child a male fathers. Sounds like a good system to me. It was instituted after the abolished the army and took the money and used it to establish a first rate educational system. Their motto is PURA VIDA which roughly translates as – a pure life and attidude; this can be seen in their social secutiry/national medical and dental and child care systems. We need some of that PURA VIDA here in this ocuntry.