Really, No Pressure

Posted by – July 28, 2006

First I want to apologize to two people who know who they are.

Second I want to explain that this week has been sheer hell for me. Not long ago an author friend of mine reminded me that second books are looked at critically – you know, separating the one-hit wonders from the career types critically. That, plus the fact that I’m talking about things in this new book I barely ever wanted to talk to Betty about, and bringing up political problems between transness and feminism. Basically, I’ve got a lot on the line, and this Tuesday I hand it all in. So in the meantime I’m smoking too much and eating too much and sitting too much.

So please pardon me if I’m a little crankier than usual. I just can’t wait to weigh myself on Sunday and find out that for the first time since March, I will have missed my target weight. That’ll be a blast, really.

5 Comments on Really, No Pressure

1. Beauty says:

Hi Helen,

I’m still sitting in the bleachers with my go Helen sign waving it proudly. Rain or shine. Good luck over the next few days/weeks/months especially!

Gracie

2. caprice says:

Don’t sweat the weigh-in, Helen. Extenuating circumstances.

3. Joanna says:

> and bringing up political problems between transness and feminism.

Damn, this is important stuff. I’ll be very interested to read what you have to say.

As regards feminists vs MTF TVs, a lot of the fault (if that’s an appropriate word) is on our (TV) side. Really study of feminism should be made compulsory for MTF TVs :). Without that it’s difficult even to start a meaningful discussion about gender. Without that an MTF TV is politically just a man in a frock.

4. Katherine says:

Aside from your considerable writerly skills so evident in mHB, your work strikes a chord with so many of us because the honesty and integrity with which you write communicate truths that can only be revealed when one risks as much of herself as you do in your writing. I’m sure the anxieties that come from taking such a leap are considerable; however, the probity you bring to your writing is both too rare a thing in this world and one of the surest signs that the next book will be a great success. I hate to break it to you, but this infatuation you have with exploring truth and with making the world better for people and using writing as a vehicle for accomplishing those things means that you do not have it in you to be “a one-hit wonder.” Sorry about that. I suspect in some ways that would have been an easier path. Good luck with the push toward Tuesday. Take care and be kind to yourself.

Katherine.

5. RenaCD says:

I do hope the Cats helped with a Purr or two!

Rena