Christmas Past

Posted by – December 27, 2005

Betty and I had one of the nicest Christmases in recent memory this past weekend. I’m not sure how, but everything came together in a good way for us – including a surprise bonus from her boss that made us feel a little less guilty about buying each other presents (though I never feel entirely unguilty, being both Catholic and only partly employed). (Or is that fully employed but underpaid? Something like that.)

I got a new printer/fax/scanner which was badly needed (and deductible!), new cufflinks (NYC subway tokens, even), a new tie bar and a new tie. Also some underwear, and tea, and chocolate truffles. Books (but only one about gender!), Wig in a Box. (I’ll let Betty tell y’all what she got.) We spent the day at my sister and brother-in-law’s place, as per usual, and it was a quiet, pleasant Christmas, with us mostly playing with their new kittens and eating and playing with kittens and talking and… watching kittens sleep.

Tomorrow my entire clan gathers at her place to exchange presents and eat (and no doubt, play with kittens), and I’m looking forward to it; I haven’t seen my parents since they moved to Florida this summer, and my siblings and nieces/nephews in about as long.

5 Comments on Christmas Past

1. Beauty says:

Hi Helen,

That sounds like one awesome Christmas! I hope you have fun tonight as well.

I didn’t understand one thing about your entry though???? Were there kittens at your brother-in-law’s? ;)

Gracie

2. SavoyTruffle says:

I, of course, approve of the truffles. :D

3. kiss of athena says:

Wig in a box has a wonderful version of “origin of love” from Rufus

beauty, my sister & her husband lost two of their eldest cats this past year – menelaus right before xmas last year, & agamemnon right before this past thanksgiving.

so this year, for xmas, they got two kittens – who had been fostered after their mom died, & bottle-fed. a brother & a sister, silver tabbies. their names? orestes & electra!

5. LaSirenaBella says:

It was quiet for us. It was nothing like, for example, 1979, burned into my memory as “The Christmas of ‘Star Wars’ Toys.” We’re pretty much off the treadmill, and there was little to no pressure to give each other gifts. Just me, my Beloved, her mother and her sister’s three dogs. And re-runs of “SeaQuest DSV.” Because nothing screams “Christmas” like Roy Scheider and dolphins. :D

Sirena